Skip to content ↓

Common questions and concerns

Here are our answers to what we find are the most frequently asked questions and concerns.

If you have any questions that are not answered here, please try the search function on our website or contact the school office who will be happy to help!

What is your policy on jewellery, watches and hairstyles?

Makeup and nail varnish may NOT be worn in school and we do not allow the wearing of jewellery except a watch. We request hairstyles are sensible and appropriate for school. We do not allow unnatural hair colourants or shaved designs.

What happens if there is an emergency?

The School will only be closed when exceptional circumstances make it absolutely necessary and when it is in the best interest of the pupils, i.e. snow, floods, power failure, widespread illness, or pandemic, etc. In the event of an emergency school closure, the School will make the announcement via the School and County Council websites. It will also be broadcast on the following radio stations:
• BBC Southern Counties Radio on 104.0 and 104.6 FM.
• The Eagle Surrey on 96. 4 FM.
• Eagle Extra (previously County Sound) on 91.5 FM and 1566 MW.

Collecting your child

If school closure is announced during the day due to severe weather conditions, every effort must be taken to collect your child as soon as possible (within an hour). Please have a contingency plan i.e.please nominate an adult to collect your child in your absence and organise this beforehand as the weather forecast is likely to have alerted us to the fact that the weather may become hazardous during
the day. 

It is important that we have current contact details for all parents/guardians, so that we can contact you via text and/or email, if necessary. Please notify any changes to the School Office on (01483) 761531, or alternatively complete our online form.

What is your charging policy?

The school has a charging policy, in accordance with the requirement of Section 110 of the Education Reform Act 1988 and Chapter 32 in the 2002 Education Act. The policy is annually agreed by Governors and applicable to all registered pupils. 

Parents are asked to make voluntary contributions to cover the cost of trips or visits to the school. The full policy can be found in the policies section of our website. 

My child is having difficulty making friends, what should I do?

For many children, difficulty making friends can have a detrimental effect on their self-esteem and confidence, and also keep them from trying new activities. It can also be difficult for them to manage Intense feelings. We operate a ‘buddy’ system for all children joining our school. New pupils meet their allocated buddy before they start school. There are also buddy playtimes once a week to help children build friendships and settle in.

Encourage your child to talk about their feelings, and what has happened in the school day. Just knowing that these feelings are normal, and that they have someone to talk with, can help a lot!

Invite friends over 

Ask your child who they enjoy spending time with at school. Start by inviting one or two of these friends over to your house, or arrange a get-together at a local park.

Talk to your child’s teacher
Contact the school office and ask to talk with your child’s teacher. Have a chat about your concerns. Don’t be worried, we deal with friendship worries regularly. It’s part of being a teacher!

Have your own friends over
Since children pay close attention to what grownups do, model friendship behaviours for your child by having your friends over, especially in ways that include the younger generation.

Try not to expect too much
Take it slowly and don’t ‘force’ your child to make friends. Sometimes making friends can take time! Get help if you sense a real problem. In the majority of cases, shyness or difficulty making friends in childhood is perfectly normal. If your child rarely holds eye contact, is unusually withdrawn, throws tantrums or cries whenever other children are around, or seems terrified of going to school or the playground, then please talk to us again.

I’m struggling to help my child with their homework - what do you suggest?

If you are finding it difficult to help your child with their homework…don’t worry! Lots of parents have difficulties with this. 

Talk to us
The way subjects are now taught in school is probably different to when you attended school.  The first thing to do is talk to the school office. All conversations are confidential. They will then either book you an appointment to come and chat with your child’s teacher, or book a time for your child’s teacher to phone you.

We will help you
It’s nothing to worry about. We will help you understand how children learn in school, and you can then enjoy helping your child with their homework.  We also have family learning events where we explain aspects of your child's learning to you and help you to learn alongside your child.

I don't think that the work that my child is being set is at the right level.

The first thing to do is contact the school office to talk with your child’s teacher. 

Ongoing assessment
Your child is assessed regularly by their teacher, so we will be able to tell you how they are performing and how this relates to what is expected at this stage of your child’s education.

Activities at home
Your child’s teacher can provide you with some fun activities to do at home that will complement what is happening in class, and give your child that extra help.

Ongoing problems
It may be that your child needs glasses in class, or is dyslexic. All of these concerns can be discussed with your child’s teacher. We want to help your child, as much as you do!


What happens when my child transfers to secondary school?

Applications for Secondary school places are made to Surrey County Council. Their website details are provided below. The following is an extract from their procedure:

  • You can apply online using the eAdmissions website.
  • Decide which schools to apply for. You can apply for up to six schools.
  • You can apply from the beginning of September.  Complete and submit the application online or on a paper form by the end of October*. However, we suggest you submit your application by the Friday before the October half term holiday.
  • If you are applying for a school that also asks for a supplementary information form, you must complete and return the form to the secondary school you are applying for by the date stated.
  • You can check Surrey County Council’s directory of schools to find out if a school asks for a
  • supplementary information form and download a copy of the form.
  • If you are applying under exceptional medical or social criteria, send your supporting documentation to the admissions authority by the end of October
  • The admissions authority for each school will rank applications according to its criteria and we then assess the highest offer that can be made based on the order of preferences on your application form.

How you will be notified of the outcome of your application:

  • If you applied online, the admissions authority will send you an email at the beginning of March*. If you cannot be offered your first preference school we will also send you a letter by first class post.
  • If you applied on a paper form, the admissions authority we will send you a letter by first class post at the beginning of March*.
  • You must accept or decline the place by mid March*.
  • If you are unhappy with the school place that has been offered you can appeal. You must do this by the end of March (these are approximate dates for each year).

For further information on the admission process, more information can be found here or please visit the Surrey County Council website;