Two of our school values are justice and service. Following the example of our servant-king Jesus, we believe that we should, in practical ways, show love to our neighbour. Listed below are some examples of charitable works undertaken by the school over the past year:
1. Reverse Advent Calendar: Children donated items to local homeless charities through the month of Advent
2. Together with Music: With this national charity, pupils have teamed up with a local OAP home to forge links with some of our older local residents
3. We have worked with the Horsell Common Preservation Society to raise awareness of local wildlife.
4. In 2022 - 2023, pupils were asked to vote on a local charity that they would like to support. School council researched different local issues and the school decided to support LinkAble. We were visited by the Director of the charity and school council went to the LinkAble centre to see the valuable work that the charity undertakes in the local community.
Each year group also undertakes a charity event at some point during the school year, and we work closely with St Mary's Church in Horsell. Parents, when purchasing school meals, are also encouraged to 'pay it forward'. This money is used to pay for school dinners for families within the school community who may be suffering temporary financial hardship, but do not qualify for free school meals.
Children need to feel that their voice matters and that they can make a difference. This is central to our school value of dignity. Children can make their voices and opinions heard in the following ways:
1. School Council: Weekly, minuted meetings with the Headteacher
2 The House System: House captains, Prefects and other Year 6 pupils are given responsibility for organising events across the school
3. Eco-committee: Working hard to help us become a greener and more sustainable school
4. Pupil Voice conferences: Subject Leaders regularly interview pupils about their subject and use this when writing subject reports and reviewing our curriculum offer
5. Assembly Ambassadors: Pupils are given the opportunity to run Collective Worship in the school on a regular basis.
In 2023 - 2024 we will be embarking on a journey to become a Global Neighbours school. Watch this space!